An interesting method for cooking a PRIME RIB ROAST…definitely unique. I think it may be worth a try.
It was excellent. Rare, juicy, a recipe worth following…but be sure to get a quality cut of PRIME RIB as this method “just” cooks it and if the quality is poor, results are too.
- 1 (4 pound) prime rib roast
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- kosher salt to taste, very little works best
- Place prime rib roast on a plate and bring to room temperature, 2 to 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- Combine butter, pepper, and herbes de Provence in a bowl; mix until well blended. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the entire roast. Season roast generously with kosher salt.
- Roast the 4-pound roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. (If your roast is larger or smaller than 4 pounds, see footnote to calculate COOKING TIME.)
- Turn the oven off and, leaving the roast in the oven with the door closed, let the roast sit in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove roast from the oven, slice, and serve.
To determine the cooking time, use this formula:
Weight of meat as per tag X 5
….For example, if weight shown is 5.35 lb X 5 = 26.75….round up to 27 minutes.
Cook the meat in a 500F for 27 minutes.
Shut off the oven leaving roast within for 2 hours.
[Do not open the oven door during this cooking time] Remove the roast from the oven and let it rest for at least 20 minutes.