Crooks operate in every business, towing too. Know your rights about being towed. Print a copy of the TOWING BILL OF RIGHTS and keep it in your car.
TOWING BILL OF RIGHTS
1. You have the right to decide who can tow your vehicle and to what location unless otherwise directed by police.
2. A permission to tow form must be signed before towing starts unless you have an auto club membership.
3. The towing company must provide you with an itemized invoice, before receiving payment.
4. The final bill cannot be more than 10% above the quoted price.
5. If you choose, you can pay by credit card.
6. During business hours, you can access your vehicle to get your personal items, while it’s stored at a towing facility.
7. A tow operator must notify you where your vehicle will be towed.
8. Tow operators must disclose if they are receiving a financial incentive for towing your vehicle to a particular vehicle storage facility or repair shop.