Do you want the juiciest turkey you have ever roasted? Here’s the method.
- Prepare you turkey by patting it dry with paper toweling. [ Be sure to remove the innards, (neck, heart, etc.) from the inside of the turkey. ]
- Very coarsely chop:
1 medium sized onion
1 medium sized carrot
1 stalk of celery
Spread these chopped veggies at the bottom of the pan.
Lay the turkey, breast side up, on to the vegetables.
- Lay strips of bacon over the top of the turkey as illustrated, about 6 strips will do.
- Roast the turkey in the oven at 550F for 20-25 minutes.
Visually check the turkey at about 15 minutes and every 10 minutes thereafter, until you are happy with its colour, lightly browned.
- Take the turkey out of the oven and cover with tinfoil so no part of the bird is exposed. LOWER THE HEAT TO 325F
- Depending on the size of the bird, roast for about 3 hrs until the meatiest part of the bird registers 175-180 on a thermometer.
- Remove the roast from the oven and allow it to rest for 10-15 mins. Then carve as you wish.
1. Surprisingly, the bacon taste will be very subtle, and will not overpower the flavour of the bird.
2. If you do not want the bacon very crisp, place the strips on the bird a little later in the early the browning stage at the beginning. However, tenting under tinfoil will protect the bacon from becoming too well done.
3. If you are averse to bacon, you can omit its use completely, but following the directions as above skipping the use of bacon.