STORIES: Alone, a woman and abandoned in the middle of Thailand

I thought my trip was going well until I was left stranded and abandoned twice in the same night. Twice, my brain froze in stunned disbelief….

I was supposed to be leaving Chiang Mai, a city in northern Thailand, on an overnight bus. The buzz of the night market outside was a distraction. It must have muffled the noise of the diesel motor of my first bus when it departed. I had returned to the bus office in good time, but when I saw the building in total darkness and no one inside, I nearly fainted: no bus, no luggage. No lodgings either and it was nightfall.

What was I going to do? I had no idea which part of the city I was in. A worker appeared, grasping my dilemma and panic and speedily drove me to the main bus terminal. I was so thankful for this Good Samaritan. I breathed my first sigh of relief. However, to my amazement, the original bus wasn’t there. And where was my luggage?

I went to the bus station manager’s office with my problem. All the buses were ordered to stay put and one of my bags was found. The other, a blue one, the manager remembered seeing on a bus that had already left. I was assured a bus hostess would help me find it at the eventual destination. I now left on “Bus #2,” destination Bangkok, feeling hopeful of being reunited with my remaining travel possessions. Two hours later, this bus made a washroom stop at a café along the highway. Not wanting to lose this bus, I rushed in and out of the building. I came out and blinked in disbelief. The parking lot was empty! The bus was gone and not a single person was around. Just unbelievable! Panic punched me in the pit of my stomach. I felt like crying. Although it was a hot clammy night, I shook with an uncontrollable fear. Here I was in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere Thailand, alone, abandoned and missing luggage.

I spotted a young man by the café doors and asked, “Is the bus gone?” “I think so,” he responded, “but maybe it’s just gone around the block and will be coming back.” I was sceptical. This was a highway; there was no going around the block. I stepped onto the dark road and in the distance, spotted two headlight beams piercing the night. “Bus #2” was coming back. My legs turned to jelly. I was saved.

All the passengers, like ghosts emerging from the darkness, reappeared and filed silently back onto the bus. The hostess approached me carrying my missing blue bag. Now all I wanted was to get to my destination by daylight. The bus stopped one more time. This time, I refused to get off. Being abandoned twice in one night was just too much.

Nadia G.

You’re invited to give your feedback about the piece.


This entry was posted in STORIES. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *