Pickering Fire Services Chief John Hagg wants you to be aware of fire dangers everywhere, all the time. A careless moment can lead to tragedy. Be aware, be alert and learn fire safety.
Pickering Fire Services is using this year’s theme to draw special attention to preventing cooking fires and staying fire-safe in the kitchen.
“Cooking happens in the home every day, and it has to be done responsibly to ensure it is done safely,” said Fire Chief John Hagg. “I urge all residents to protect themselves and their family by remaining alert and staying in the kitchen while cooking.”
Cooking fires continue to be the leading cause of home fires in Ontario.
Steps to better fire safety in your kitchen:
- Always stay in the kitchen when cooking. Turn off the stove if you must leave the kitchen.
- Keep a proper fitting lid near the stove. If a pot of oil catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove. Do not move the pot. Never throw water on a burning pot.
- Keep anything that burns – plastic utensils, dishcloths, paper towels – a safe distance from the stove.
- Cook responsibly: to prevent cooking fires, be alert. You will not be alert if you have consumed alcohol or drugs.
- Dress appropriately: wear tight-fitting or rolled-up sleeves when using the stove.
- Keep young kids away from the stove. Turn pot handles away from the stove’s edge so that they cannot be easily knocked off.
- If you burn yourself while cooking, run cool water over the wound for 3 – 5 minutes. If the burn is severe, seek medical attention.
“Oftentimes, when we are called to a fire that started in the kitchen, the resident explains that they only left the kitchen for a few minutes,” said Hagg. “However, a few minutes is all it takes for a dangerous fire to start, and potentially spread rapidly. Do your part to help keep our community safe.”
As part of Fire Prevention Week, Pickering Fire Services will be at the Farmers’ Market on October 6, from 9 am to 2 pm to educate the public and answer any questions.
Please contact Pickering Fire Services at 905.839.9968 or email@example.com for further information or questions.