A delicious supper that’s low in calories and healthy too.
Warm Quinoa, Spinach and Shiitake Salad
- Serves: 6
- Ready In: 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- 2 cups (500 mL) PC Blue Menu Chicken Broth
- 1 pkg (225 g) PC Organics Roasted Garlic and Fine Herbs Quinoa
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) thinly sliced shallots
- ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 6 oz (180 g) shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 pkg (142 g) PC Organics Baby Spinach
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (50 ml) crumbled feta cheese
- In a saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Stir in quinoa and contents of seasoning pouch. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat oil over medium heat; cook shallots and red pepper for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until lightly golden and softened. Stir in mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until mushrooms have released their juices and are starting to turn golden. Add vinegar; cook, stirring to bring up browned bits, for 1 minute. Stir in spinach; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or just until wilted. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, toss quinoa with warm spinach mixture. Serve sprinkled with feta.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Calories: 230 calories
Fat: 8 g
Sodium 460 mg
Carbohydrate: 33 g
Fiber 3 g