Do the Osteoporosis risk factor checklist to see if you should be taking a closer look at yourself in relation to this malady.
- Am I 65 or older?
- Have I broken a bone from a simple fall or bump since age 40?
- Has either my mother or father had a hip fracture?
- Do I smoke?
- Do I regularly drink three or more alcoholic drinks per day?
- Do I have a condition that requires me to use a glucocorticoid medication such as prednisone?
- Do I take any other medication that can cause osteoporosis such as an aromatase inhibitor for breast cancer or hormonal treatment (androgen deprivation therapy) for prostate cancer?
- Do I have a medical condition that can cause bone loss or fractures? Examples include rheumatoid arthritis, celiac disease, gastric bypass surgery, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) or chronic liver disease.
- Did I have an early menopause? i.e. before age 45?
- Have my periods ever stopped for several months or more (other than for pregnancy or menopause)?
- Have I ever suffered from impotence, lack of sexual desire or other symptoms related to low levels of testosterone (male sex hormone)?
- Do I currently weigh less than 60 kg or 132 lbs?
- Have I lost more than 10 percent of my body weight since age 25?
- Have I recently had an X-ray that showed a spinal fracture?
- Have I had an X-ray that showed low bone mineral density?
Reproduced from Osteoporosis Canada