And another one, even !
You may not be familiar with this kind of scam, but it is still very dangerous.
Phishing is fraud.
Hackers, scammers, frauds will send emails purporting to be from reputable companies in order to induce you into revealing personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers.
These fraudsters are becoming better and better at the ‘impersonation game,’ incorporating corporate logos, headings and symbols into their message and looking very authentic.
Some clues which might help indicate the message is fraudulent: spelling errors, grammar errors, colour deviations, even minor design changes to the symbols.
What should you do
1. If it is an email message and you did not initiate it, DO NOT OPEN IT. Just delete it from your inbox without opening it. [ Curiosity killed the cat, so don’t get curious, opening it to see more. You are exposing your computer to major risk. ] 2. If it is a site on the Internet, a site that offers to do something to your computer, DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR INSTALL IT. [ Open, download, install from the Internet, only from sources you absolutely trust or have dealt with before and know for certain that they are trustworthy. ]
A recent phishing scam relating to Microsoft ONEDRIVE
Look at the illustration below. See if you can identify the problem areas.
- The logo is perfect. This can really reel you in.
- The implied threat is meant to frighten you into doing what they want you to do.
- The directive instructing what you need to do…doing this will expose you to the full potential of what the scammers want to do to corrupt your computer or your data.
Action you can take
1. Contact Microsoft and verify the authenticity of the message/notice.
2. Delete the message without opening it; close the website without doing any of the instructions they have given.
Phishing is a fraudulent practice which is becoming more and more common and increasingly more sophisticated. The scammers are drawing better, designing better, and improving their grammar and spelling tremendously. You need to sharpen your own defences and be more and more alert.