This is an outstanding chicken dinner. I have summarized the recipe for the sake of brevity and efficiency.
For the full recipe click
” Chicken Kiev “
- Preferably using a pestle and mortar, otherwise, a soup spoon and sturdy bowl will do.
- 1 garlic bud
2 tbs coarsely chopped Italian parsley
piece of soft butter, approx 2 thumbs in volume, 4 oz?
- Crush the above ingredients in the bowl until well blended. The butter should look pale green from the parsley.
- Form the compound butter into cylindrical rolls, the shape of your thumb wrap in saran wrap
- Freeze for about 1 hour.
Preparation of Chicken pockets
- Pound out two chicken breasts to about 1/4 inch thickness
- Place each breast on a sheet of saran wrap
- Take your compound butter, unwrap, and slice into 1/4″ round disks
- Place 3-4 disks on to the chicken breast near the widest part
- Fold the breast over to enclose the butter totally
- Wrap up the ‘mound’ in the saran wrap so the folds are plate sound down
- Freeze for 30 mins
- FLOUR EGG BATH PANKO BRD CRUMBS
Setup your breading station with a plate of flour, a bowl of beaten egg and a plate of Panko bread crumbs.
[Tip: put the flour and panko on top of saran wrap on the plates for easier clean up]
- Remove the chicken pockets from the freezer and unwrap them from saran wrap
- Dredge each pocket in flour, egg wash and panko bread crumb
- Rewrap each pocket in the saran wraps
- Freeze the breaded pockets for 15 mins
- Heat oil for frying in a frying pan.
- Remove chicken pockets from the freezer. Remove the saran wrap.
- Fry the chicken pockets rotating them in the pan to get an even golden colour….do not burn
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cover a pie plate with aluminum foil
sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on each pocket for a bit of nip
place the pockets on the pie plate.
- Bake for 15-17 mins depending on the size of pockets.
- Remove pockets from oven and tent with aluminum foil.
- Allow resting for 5 mins.
Slice each pocket in half on the dinner plate so the butter can flow out.
Serve your favourite vegetables alongside.
Serves: 2 persons